Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's my birthday.


 Hi,
Today is my 67th birthday. I have decided to talk to you about my genealogy file and genetics. I tested at 23andme.com for both the medical and the ancestry projects. I have well over 600 matches that are cousins of some level or another. But, most people have trouble figuring out how we all are related. You see most people only research their own lineage leaving the siblings of each generation out of their research. With Autosomal Chromosome testing (atDNA) you are looking at anyone they share common ancestors with. I am using a code to show how each person in my files are related to me. I use an abbreviation for the surname that is my bloodline and a dash (-) and number, with no letter for direct blood line male, abbreviation,number,  dash and letter a for females of my blood line and abbreviation , dash, number  and letter b for spouses of bloodlines.

So John T. Hurst would be John T. (Hrst-1) his wife would be Fran (Hrst-1b) Goodheart.
children:
Thomas (Hrst-1) Hurst
Jane (Hrst-1a) Hurst Jane's husband would be Tom (Hrst-1b)Blake, but their children would be
Samuel (Hrst-1a) Blake
Linda (Hrst-1a) Blake

Each generation from the female Hurst will carry the (Hrst-1a) designator to show that even though the surname has changed the genetics of the Hursts are carried in her children grandchildren and all  descendants.

The only problem with atDNA testing is that your segment from your ancestor may be to small to be accurately identified by testing. The average segment after 5 generations seems to be to small to use as it might also just be a shared segment that thousands of others share by commonality and not really by descent.

That is hard to explain. I'm hoping my numbering system will help us find out how or from whom we share genetic segments.

Happy Birthday to me!!

Nelda


No comments:

Post a Comment